Thursday, January 22, 2015

What Setback?

I braved the Netflix and elliptical yesterday, and it was stressful.  But you know what else it was?  Successful!  I got so distracted watching my show that I went 5 miles.  I told a friend of mine that that's basically a marathon in my world.  I told myself I would not stop until the tragic events unfolded on my TV.  Of course they happened at the end of the episode so I was on there for a while.  But I was shocked when I looked down and saw my distance.  It has been YEARS since I did anything other than drive a car for 5 miles.

So all this talk about setbacks and starting from scratch, maybe it's not exactly starting over.  I could not have done that much when I started, even though that was just a couple of weeks ago.  My legs felt like Jello when I finished, but they still worked.  They still kind of feel like Jello, so today's workout consisted of a mix of yoga, Pilates, and ballet.  I even had a helper.


I guess the lesson for today is not to get discouraged.  I was nervous to get back to exercising because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to do as much.  Turns out I was able to do even more.  The progress I had made didn't disappear as quickly as I thought it would.  Hopefully I can remember that in the future.

1 comment: